Like other animation studios, Hanna-Barbera frequently used the comedy device of showing only the eyes of characters in the dark.
The All-New Popeye Hour
- In "Popeye Meets the Blutostein Monster", Popeye's and Olive Oyl's eyes are briefly visible in the darkened upper story of the Blutostein castle.
The Little Rascals
- "Wash and Werewolf" has a scene in which Buckwheat, Darla, Porky and Spanky hide in a closet while fleeing werewolf!Alfalfa. Inside the darkened closet, only their eyes are visible.
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
- This show's opening/closing titles start with the Hooded Claw's eyes, followed by those of Penelope.
- In "The Great Pac-Quake", Pac-Man follows Blinky into a cave. Both characters' eyes are visible in the dark before Blinky is chomped.
- The opening of The New Scooby-Doo Movies starts with four pairs of disembodied eyes of various sizes.
- The opening of The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries features a pair of eyes in the dark, which end up morphing into Daphne and Shaggy respectively.
- In "The Smurfs and the Howlibird", when four of the Smurfs were inside a log hiding from the aggressive bird, their eyes are seen in the dark.