Peter Potamus is an animated television series produced by Hanna-Barbera for Screen Gems and first broadcast on September 16, 1964 (Early promotional materials for the series carried the title Peter Potamus and his Magic Flying Balloon, but that title never appeared on screen).
Peter Potamus the hippopotamus (voiced by Daws Butler impersonating Joe E. Brown) and his sidekick, So-So the monkey (voiced by Don Messick) are exploring the world in Peter's time-traveling hot air balloon. When faced with a certain situation, Peter uses his Hippo Hurricane Holler technique to blow away his opponents.
Peter Potamus was a syndicated series divided into three segments; one of Peter Potamus and So-So, one of Breezly and Sneezly, and one of Yippee, Yappee and Yahooey. Peter Potamus was a companion series to the Magilla Gorilla Show, and both series premiered in first-run syndication before being picked up by ABC-TV in 1966. At that time, the Breezly and Sneezly segment was swapped with Ricochet Rabbit & Droop-a-Long, a segment on the Magilla Gorilla show. After the ABC run, cartoons from the Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus shows were syndicated together.
The original Peter Potamus series can occasionally be seen on the cable TV channel Boomerang. During the original run of the cartoon (1964), at the end of each episode, the closing song ended with the phrase: "And there he goes Peter Potamus, our ideal" (The Ideal Toy Company was the sponsor of the television series; a similarly subtle sponsor reference appeared in the Magilla Gorilla theme song lyrics: "He's really ideal").
- Peter Potamus and So So appeared in Yogi's Ark Lark and its spin-off series, Yogi's Gang.
- Peter Potamus guest starred in some episodes of Yogi's Treasure Hunt.
- Peter Potamus appeared in teenage form in the early 1990s series Yo Yogi!, where he was voiced by Frank Welker. He and So-So were shown to own a plant store at Jellystone Mall called Peter Potamus' Plant Palace. In "Tricky Dickie's Dirty Trickies", he is shown to be allergic to goldenrods.
- Peter Potamus later became a recurring character on the parody show Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, where he is voiced in a Brooklyn accent by Joe Alaskey and later voiced by Chris Edgerly. In it, he is a sexually charged hippo working in the firm with Harvey Birdman. Peter has the trademark phrase, "Did you get that thing I sent you?". Starting at episode 6 of season 3, Return of Birdgirl, Peter's hands have been changed to stumps.
- Peter Potamus will be voiced by Kevin James and So-So will be voiced by Hugh Jackman in the upcoming animation/live-action film Yogi's Gang: The Great College Rescue.