Phil Silvers (born Philip Silver, May 11, 1911 – November 1, 1985) was an American entertainer and comedy actor. He is best known for starring in The Phil Silvers Show, a 1950s sitcom set on a U.S. Army post, in which he portrayed Sgt. Ernie Bilko.
There are many Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters that have been inspired and satirized by Phil Silvers' comedy over the years.
- Daws Butler performed an impression of Silvers as the voice of Hokey Wolf.
- The premise of The Phil Silvers Show was the basis for Top Cat, for whose lead character Arnold Stang moderately imitated Silvers' voice.
- The episode of The Flintstones that introduced Dino gave the pet dinosaur a Sgt. Bilko-styled voice and character. After this atypical debut, Dino never spoke again.
- Another Flintstones episode recruited Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble into the army, where they were conned by an unnamed Bilko-like character into becoming astronaut test pilots.
- Phil Silvers at the Internet Movie Database