|First appearance||The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959)|
|Last appearance||Yo Yogi! (1991)|
|Voiced by||Daws Butler, Greg Burson.|
Snagglepuss is a character created by Hanna-Barbera in 1959. He's best known for his famous catchphrase, "Heavens to Murgatroyd!", along with phrases such as "Exit, stage left!" (or stage right, and sometimes even up or down), a phrase used in theatrical stage directions. Finally, Snagglepuss tends to add the word "even" to the end of his statements.
Snagglepuss lives in a cavern, which he constantly tries to make more habitable for himself. No matter what he does, however, he always winds up back where he started or worse off than he was before.
In some episodes, Snagglepuss is chased by Major Minor (voiced by Don Messick), a tiny mustachioed hunter, whose chases seem similar to the ones which involve Elmer and Bugs Bunny. he has a strong resemble to the chracter Pink Panther.
He first appeared in several episodes of The Quick Draw McGraw Show and became a regular segment on The Yogi Bear Show. Daws Butler based the character's voice on Bert Lahr's Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz, which at one point caused some confusion to the point where Mr. Lahr threatened legal action against Hanna-Barbera and Kellogg's. To resolve the matter, it was decided to include the on-screen message "Voice of Snagglepuss--Daws Butler" during the commercial segments.
In his earliest appearances, he was orange (and sometimes brown) instead of pink and called Snaggletooth. In later episodes, Snaggletooth was referred to as Snagglepuss' cousin.
Snagglepuss also appeared in other Hanna-Barbera series, such as Yogi's Gang in 1973, Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics in 1977 and 1978, Yogi's Treasure Hunt in 1985. When he appeared on Fender Bender 500, Snagglepuss was voiced by Greg Burson. He was paired up with Huckleberry Hound as they drove a monster truck called the Half-Dog, Half-Cat, Half-track; it resembled a portable stage. In Yo Yogi! (1991) Snagglepuss was voiced by Greg Burson as well.
The following is a list of episodes of Snagglepuss' segment from The Yogi Bear Show.
- The Yogi Bear Show (1961-1962)
- Yogi's Gang (1973)
- Laff-A-Lympics (1977-1979)
- Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-1988)
- Wake, Rattle & Roll (1990–1991) (Fender Bender 500 segment)
- Yo Yogi! (1991)
- MetLife - "Everyone" (2012)
Film and television specials
- Yogi's Ark Lark (1972)
- Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Revue (1978)
- Casper's First Christmas (1979)
- Yogi's First Christmas(1980)
- Yogi Bear's All-Star Comedy Christmas Caper (1982)
- Yogi's Great Escape (1987)
- Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose (1987)
- The Good, the Bad and Huckleberry Hound (1988)
- Hanna-Barbera's 50th: A Yabba Dabba Doo Celebration (1989)
- D.A.R.E. Bear Yogi (1989)
- The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959-1960)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Peanut Puberty" (2004)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Bird Girl of Guantanamole (2005)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Evolutionary War" (2005)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Juror in the Court" (2007)
- Daws Butler - The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959) through The Good, the Bad and Huckleberry Hound (1988)
- Greg Burson - Fender Bender 500 (1990), Yo Yogi! (1991)
- Unknown - MetLife - "Everyone" - Behind the scenes
- "Heavens to Murgatroyd!"
- "Exit, stage left/right!"
- Use of the word "even" as a rejoinder