The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are a popular superheroes team of anthropomorphic reptiles who began in a series of comics in 1984 and gained greater fame with an animated series which ran from 1987 to 1996.
- In the 1989 episode, "Turtle Tracks," as the Turles are skateboarding in the sewers, Donatello ask Michaelangelo why he wasn't shouting "Cowabunga." Michaelangelo said he got bored with that phrase and suggested the phrase, "Yabba-Dabba..." before Donatello cover his mouth; saying that it wasn't for him.
- In the 1989 episode, "Turtles on Trial," Bebop and Rocksteady watch a cartoon show that parodies the Smurfs.
- Michaelangelo appeared with the Smurfs and other characters in Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue.
- In Yo Yogi! episode, "Super Duper Snag," Snagglepuss is trying to figure out a superhero identity and came up with a hero that is a parody of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and calls himself "Snagatello."
- Rob Paulsen played Raphael in the 1987 series.