The Skatebirds is a 60-minute show produced by Hanna-Barbera that aired on CBS Saturday mornings from 1977 to 1978. The show featured four short segments hosted by live-action wraparounds featuring "The Skatebirds", three large birds played by actors in costumes.
The Skatebirds, so called because they roller skated, were named Satchel (a pelican), Knock-Knock (a woodpecker) and Scooter (a pigeon). Their nemesis was Scat Cat, voiced by Scatman Crothers who had previously played Hong Kong Phooey and a character also named Scat Cat from the Disney movie The Aristocats. The appearance of the characters and the format of the show was similar to The Banana Splits Adventure Hour.
The Skatebirds lasted only a half-season in its original run from September 10, 1977 to January 28, 1978. In the fall of 1979, the show was cut down to a half-hour by removing The Robonic Stooges and Woofer And Whimper, Dog Detectives (which had been spun off into a separate half-hour) and broadcast on CBS Sunday mornings on and off until January 1981. In the late 1980s, a different shortened version of The Skatebirds (now featuring The Robonic Stooges and Wonder Wheels) was shown on USA Cartoon Express and later resurfaced on Cartoon Network and Boomerang.
- The Robonic Stooges - A cartoon featuring bionic versions of the Three Stooges who are secret agents that fight crime.
- Wonder Wheels - A cartoon about a teenage boy and his living shape-shifting motorcycle, Wonder Wheels.
- Woofer & Whimper, Dog Detectives - This segment is actually edited version of Clue Club episodes featuring two talking dogs who help solve mysteries with four teenage detectives.
- Mystery Island - A live-action adventure serial about the crew of a downed plane and their robot P.O.P.S. trying to escape the wrath of Dr. Strange.
- Joe E. Baker - Larry Fine
- Scatman Crothers - Scat-Cat
- Susan Davis - Dooley
- Micky Dolenz - Willie Sheerer
- Bob Hastings - D.D.
- Bob Holt - Satchel
- David Jolliffe - Larry (Clue Club)
- Jim MacGeorge - Whimper
- Ross Martin - Agent 000
- Don Messick - Scooter, Wonder Wheels
- John Stephenson - Sheriff Bagley
- Patricia Stich - Pepper
- Tara Talboy - Dotty
- Lennie Weinrib - Knock-Knock
- Frank Welker - Curly Howard, Narrator, P.O.P.S.
- Paul Winchell - Moe Howard, Woofer